Unite to Fight Cancer is about more than just getting fit – it’s about making a real and lasting difference in the lives of those impacted by cancer. Every day, in every way, the team at Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre seek to venture into previously unexplored areas of cancer research in order to improve outcomes for patients across Australia, placing Peter Mac at the vanguard of innovation.
It’s pretty safe to say that facing a cancer diagnosis can be a frightening and isolating ordeal. The fact that there are thousands of kind and compassionate Victorians who are willing to step out of their comfort zone and Unite to Fight Cancer is a source of great solace and comfort to those traversing the daunting, and often lonely, road of cancer treatment.
Last year, more than 1,600 people raised $1.3million for Peter Mac through Unite to Fight Cancer – that’s huge. So we thought we’d bring you some pro tips from a fellow Uniter to help you push your fundraising total further and higher.
Shannon is participating because her family is all too familiar with the devastating impact this disease can have.
“With a family full of the BRCA2 gene (including myself) there always seems to be another cancer diagnosis of some sort in our family just around the corner. My dad just finished treatment for an aggressive prostate cancer and my aunt, uncle and cousin have all just won their fight with breast cancer”.
Shannon shared some of her fundraising tips which helped her to raise over $750 within 24 hours of registering (wow!):
- Post the donation page link and a description to your Facebook page.
- Send individual messages to Facebook friends asking for their support, together with a link to donate.
- Most importantly, call every person you know and ask for their support. Don’t be afraid to ask if they would like you to process their donation and do it together over the phone.
- I sent an email to every business owner I knew with a simple message and a request for support.
- Next week I will be taking the fundraiser to the streets and approaching business owners for a donation. In the event that a business owner can donate $500 or more I will place their company name on my Unite to Fight Cancer jersey which I will wear on the day.
Shannon is committed to making a difference in the fight against cancer. Will you join her?